Teodor Graur (b. 1953, Pogaceaua, Mures, Romania) lives and works in Bucharest. He graduated from the interior design school STACO, Bucharest (RO) in 1974 and the Fine Arts Academy of Bucharest in 1978. Between 1990-1991, he was assistant-professor at the Fine Arts Academy of Bucharest. His most recent and important shows include: “Mirajul politic” at Totem Gallery (Venice 2011), “Remodern” at Anticariat Curtea Veche Gallery (Bucharest 2010), “Balcanian XXI” at Romanian Peasant Museum (Bucharest 2011), ”When History Comes Knocking” at Plan B Gallery (Berlin, 2010).
Some of his works are in the collections of the National Museum of Contemporary Art (Bucharest); Ludwig Museum (Budapest), Essl Collection (Viena), Nächst St. Stephan Gallery (Viena;), private collections.
Solo exhibitions (selection):
– Nostalgia, Tranzit.ro, Bucharest, RO
– One plus one makes one, Nicodim Gallery, Bucharest, RO
– Club Electroputere, Craiova, RO
– 3 X The Totalitarian, Modernist, Balkan Museum, The Contemporary Art Gallery of the Brukenthal National Museum, Sibiu, RO
– Romanian context: From Pop-Art to genuine design, Anca PoteraÅŸu Gallery, Bucharest, RO
– Balcanian XXI, Romanian Peasant Museum, Bucharest, RO
– Remodern, Curtea Veche Gallery, Bucharest, RO
– Made in East Europe, Fabs Gallery, Warsaw, PL
– Persona, New Gallery, Bucharest, RO
– The Forgotten Room, HT003 Gallery, Bucharest, RO.
Group exhibitions (selection):
– The Hero, the Heroine and the Author, Ludwig Museum, Budapest, HU
– The Poetics of Politics, Propaganda Gallery, Warsaw, PL
– Political Mirage, Totem il Canale Gallery, Venice, IT
– I Am a Romanian: The Bucharest-Tel Aviv Route, Ben Gurion University of Negev , Beer- Sheeva , Israel
– When History Comes Knocking, curator Judit Angel, Plan B Gallery, Berlin, DE
– Romanian artists (and not only) love the CeauÅŸescu’s Palace?!, curator Ruxandra Balaci, MNAC – National Museum of Contemporary Art, Bucharest, RO
– Shake the Limits, curator Maria Rus Bojan, Kalinderu media lab, Bucharest, RO
– Towers of Babel, curator Gnter Minas, The State Museum, Meinz, DE
– Blood & Honey – Future’s In the Balkans, curator: Harald Szeemann, Sammlung Essl, Vienna, AT
– In Search of Balkania, curators Roger Connover, Peter Weibel, Eda Cufer, Neue Galerie Graz, AT
– Context, curator Alexandru Patatics, Venice Biennale, IT
– Transitionland, curator Ruxandra Balaci, MNAC – National Museum of Contemporary Art, Bucharest, RO
– Periferic 3/ A Lesson, installation at the Palace of Culture of IaÅŸi, RO
– La Nave Romania, Venice Biennale, IT
– 4th Istanbul International Biennale of Istanbul, TR
– Meta, curator Calin Dan, Sao Paulo Biennale, BR.
Photography in contemporary art. Trends in Romania after 1989, New Gallery – UNArte Publishing House, 2007
The National Museum of Contemporary Art, catalogue, Bucharest, 2004
The catalogue of Shake the Limits, 2004
The catalogue of Towers of Babel – Hommage to a Journey, Cologne, 2004
The catalogue of Blut & Honig – Zukunft ist am Balkan, Sammlung Essl, 2003
The catalogue of In Search of Balkania: A User’s Manual, Neue Galerie Graz, 2002
The catalogue of The 49th Venice Biennale, 2001
The catalogue of The 47th Venice Biennale, 1997
Titu, Alexandra, Experiment în arta româneasca dupa 1960, CSAC Bucharest, 1997
The catalogue of The 4th International Biennial of Contemporary Art, Istanbul, 1995.
Works in collections:
National Museum of Contemporary Art, Bucharest; Ludwig Museum, Budapest; Essl Collection, Vienna; Galerie Nächst St. Stephan, Vienna; K + K Hotel Elisabeta, Bucharest, and various private collections.